Saturday, September 14, 2013

Life In Motion

This week, we went over shutter speeds and aperture settings.  I am loving my classes and learning so much.  I am anticipating new techniques Ms. Theresa will reveal to us the next class session.

To Remember: the higher the shutter speed setting, the subject will be stopped.  The lower the setting, more the subject is in motion and the photo will be blurred.  You must decide what you want to show the audience before you even press the button.  Do you want the action in motion or stopped?

The lower the aperture setting, the fore/background will be blurred.  The higher the setting, the sharper the fore/background.

Shutter speed and aperture work together to give you the best photo.  If your aperture setting is low, you must need a high set shutter speed.  The aperture hole will be small thus, allowing less light.  If you force the shutter speed too low, you might end up with a very dark photo and vice versa.  I've noticed with my Nikon D70, if I want a low shutter speed the aperture or F/stop will show Lo/Hi instead of the number.  This tells me there is either too much light pouring in or not enough.  Listen to your camera!  I deliberately took some pictures that the aperture was too low or too high and sure enough the picture was either over exposed or under.  I love my camera and I know it is wanting to help make the best picture as possible, but like Ms. Theresa said, it can want to help you out a little too much and that is why we don't want to go around the world taking pictures with the automatic button set.  LOL!

I am an artist!   If you see me with my camera and tripod in hand, be at ease that I'm working on my art.  :)

 photo DSC_0155_zpsb029f133.jpg
It's hard taking a picture of a bumble bee!  It took me a long time and loads of patience to capture this bee buzzing from flower to flower.  Bees just won't stay on a flower long enough to get all of your settings and focus ready.  The bee was just moving from this flower to another, when I took the picture.  You'll notice that the flower has a slight blur and that's because the big bee moved it.  


 photo DSC_0153_zpsee365db4.jpg
I actually took this picture looking up.  I love how the beautiful blue Alabama sky was in the background, giving this shot lots of vibrant color.  


 photo DSC_0152_zpse5969684.jpg
This picture was actually an accident.  I was trying to catch a bumble bee buzzing around the flowers.  I didn't get the bee in the shot because he flew off so fast, but I love the warm sun's light reflecting off of this flower.  


 photo DSC_0143_zps8152f696.jpg
This is an aperture or F/stop photo that I took of these beautiful flowers.  Notice the blur in the background. Just beautiful! 


 photo DSC_0142_zps8ba889b6.jpg
Pathway under an arbor into the park's wildflower garden


 photo DSC_0140_zps8d8db25c.jpg
Cheerful light green baby fern springing up in the forest along the garden pathway.  I wanted to show you the vibrant green color by using the white balance.  So pretty!

 photo DSC_0139_zps87e80810.jpg
I love how this picture came out.  Again, I used white balance setting in order to bring these flowers to life.

 photo DSC_0138_zps5840c7d1.jpg
I spotted this brilliant red flower in the forest by a creek bank.

 photo DSC_0131_zpsab09eb78.jpg
Reminds me that Autumn is right around the corner

 photo DSC_0128_zps68d23642.jpg 
Butterfly flitting around enjoying a cool autumn day

 photo DSC_0125_zpsf3a06366.jpg
Took advantage of a slight wind, moving this grass.  Notice the slight blur, the plumes look more like feathers.  Allowing more light. It was hard to capture the movement in this picture because it was so bright outside, I couldn't set my speed too low.  

 photo DSC_0123_zps50626aa3.jpg
Shutter speed is a little faster than the photo above.  Notice this picture is a little sharper than above.  

 photo DSC_0110_zps0c5ee25c.jpg
An example of pushing your aperture settings when making your shutter speed real slow.  Shutter speed at 20 and F/25, allowing too much light and causing over exposed photo. 

 photo DSC_0105_zpsf763c4ee.jpg
Shutter speed isn't set on 30 because it would cause too much light, but it's just enough light and still have the slight blur of motion.  I think this turned out good.  

 photo DSC_0103_zpsc1c3abaa.jpg  photo DSC_0098_zpse9807e94.jpg
These two pictures would have to be one of my favorite motion pictures.  On the left: night time lite church.  I used the long exposure setting for this picture.  I love the sparkle from the street lights.  On the right: city scape of my downtown.  I think it turned out very good because you see the movement from the cars, coming and going.  The street lights and signs are still.  A couple street lights even have a little sparkle.  

 photo DSC_0076_zps1f16ca67.jpg
Fair grounds - the ferris wheel was going entirely too slow and where I was taking this picture required a lot of patience from other drivers.  Yikes!  I felt like I couldn't make my exposure too long.  

 photo DSC_0068_zps828dc64b.jpg

 photo DSC_0063_zps12c899d7.jpg
The above two pictures taken at a long exposure and turned out great.  Shutter speeds are awesome! 

 photo DSC_0013_zps83181a89.jpg  photo DSC_0011_zps22e63d6b.jpg
My past class meeting, my instructor really liked my fountain photo.  She challenged me to go back and take two separate photos to see the difference.  It really does give you an entirely different picture.  On the left: I slowed the shutter speed and you can see the continuous flow of water, but notice the lighting and the sharp background.  Whereas the right, the water is slow motion.  The photo is darker because less light is allowed in the camera and the aperture is blurred in the background.  


No comments:

Post a Comment